About Me

This page is dedicated to my love of beer. I don’t mean just any beer either, but quality craft beer. My love of craft beer started many many moons ago. I discovered that there was beer out there that wasn’t your typical, always a commercial for during a sports game, or sponsor of something on that Sports channel the Centers around showing highlights. After my introduction to craft beer I started to want to learn more about it (I am still learning) and try as many different types of beer as possible.

So I will tell you what beer I am drinking, what the flavors are, and more if you are interested.


Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Troegs - Mad Elf 2012




Troegs Brewing Co.

Mad Elf - Ale brewed with honey and cherries (2012)

The color of this beer is a nice deep rust color that fades to be more golden along the edges.  The beer is only translucent, you can't see anything through this beer.  

The aroma the beer gives off sweet sugary alcohol.  There are subtle notes of fruit as well.  This beer has aged a year since I bought it, so it smells pretty strong.  

On the palate this beer doesn't have an alcohol flavor to it, which is really nice. It is smooth, with mild carbonation and the slightest warmth after the swallow. There is a nice layering of flavors to this beer.  The fruitiness comes out first then there is a flowery sense from the honey.  There is no real bitterness to this beer, but it isn't overly sweet.  The last flavor, and the one that stays on the tongue is the honey, but it isn't really sweet, so it helps to keep the beer more balanced.

I honestly can't remember what this beer tasted like last year, and I haven't had a Mad Elf from this year batch yet, but I really liking this year old batch.  It is flavorful, strong without being overpowering and has a body.  I a very happy I didn't drink them all last year, and only had one (my wife had the other) to let them age.  I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment