About Me

This page is dedicated to my love of beer. I don’t mean just any beer either, but quality craft beer. My love of craft beer started many many moons ago. I discovered that there was beer out there that wasn’t your typical, always a commercial for during a sports game, or sponsor of something on that Sports channel the Centers around showing highlights. After my introduction to craft beer I started to want to learn more about it (I am still learning) and try as many different types of beer as possible.

So I will tell you what beer I am drinking, what the flavors are, and more if you are interested.


Friday, December 26, 2014

Evil Genius - Naught or Nice




Evil Genius Beer Co.

Naughty or Nice - Winter Spiced Ale

The color of this beer is a deep, dark mahogany.  It is a slightly transparent brew, but the color makes it more translucent.  The beer gives off wonderful red tones, and a thin, quickly disappearing white head.

The aroma of this brew says holiday cheer.  There are nice notes of nutmeg, cinnamon, bready malts, and a slight sweetness.  It isn't the strings smell I have had from a winter spiced ale, but it is pleasant.  I kind of wish the there was a little clove, or more spice, but I still approve of the aroma.

On the palate there is a nice carbonation that leads the way to a beer that first hits you with a slight clove flavor, it is then followed by the nutmeg and cinnamon.  None of the flavors are overbearing.  The beer has a nice undertone of malt that is evident throughout the taste.  The last two things this beer does are hit you with an unexpected bitterness that is quickly covered up a the warming sensation of nutmeg, which is how the beer finishes.  

Overall I really liked this beer, people that don't like spiced beers shouldn't drink this.  I have seen some very negative reviews on, but I don't feel they are justified.  This isn't the best spiced winter ale I have ever had, but it is solid.  The color is really beautiful, the aroma is acceptable, and the flavor is pleasant and has some layers to it.  I give it a 3.5 out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment