About Me

This page is dedicated to my love of beer. I don’t mean just any beer either, but quality craft beer. My love of craft beer started many many moons ago. I discovered that there was beer out there that wasn’t your typical, always a commercial for during a sports game, or sponsor of something on that Sports channel the Centers around showing highlights. After my introduction to craft beer I started to want to learn more about it (I am still learning) and try as many different types of beer as possible.

So I will tell you what beer I am drinking, what the flavors are, and more if you are interested.


Saturday, March 29, 2014

Unibroue - Grand Reserve 17




Unibroue Brewery

Grand Reserve 17 - Strong Dark Ale

The color of this beer is a nice deep amber.  There is a cloudiness to this beer that makes it opaque in the center of the beer and translucent on the edges.  The cream colored head is nice and light.  

The aroma of this beer is pretty awesome.  The beer gives off a nice hint of alcohol that is blended in with a smooth caramel, toffee, and hints of vanilla.  I also notice a little bit of flavor that reminds me of raisins. It is a well balanced smell, that as is warms gives off a little bit of spice as well.

On the palate there is a mild prickly carbonation that massages the tongue.  The flavors of this beer are nicely balanced and presented very well.  Up front the beer is very malty.  The flavors of toffee, caramel come at you then give way to the fruity sweetness.  The beer then finishes with a lovely mix of spices, alcohol, and a slight hop bite.  The feeling the beer leaves in the mouth is a little dry and tart.  It leaves you wanting to sip more and more, which could be dangerous since this is a strong brew.  

Overall I love this beer.  The flavor is very well done and the aroma is enticing, inviting and pleasant.  With an Abv of 10% and the ability to age this beer! it can only get better.  I kept this one for about 9 months before I drank it, and a killed the 750 ml bottle all by myself.  Go get a bottle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment