About Me

This page is dedicated to my love of beer. I don’t mean just any beer either, but quality craft beer. My love of craft beer started many many moons ago. I discovered that there was beer out there that wasn’t your typical, always a commercial for during a sports game, or sponsor of something on that Sports channel the Centers around showing highlights. After my introduction to craft beer I started to want to learn more about it (I am still learning) and try as many different types of beer as possible.

So I will tell you what beer I am drinking, what the flavors are, and more if you are interested.


Sunday, March 15, 2015

Allagash - Odyssey (January 2014)




Allagash Brewing Company

Odyssey (January 2014) - Oak-aged Dark Wheat Beer

This beer pours with a high, pillowy head that exceeds an inch in height.  The beige head sits on a dark chestnut colored beer that is barely translucent.  The head fizzles down slowly, leaving a pillowed lace on the side.  The beer is almost mysterious looking.  You can see tints of red around the edges of the glass, but you really have to look for it. 

The aroma is muted at first due to the head, but it soon comes into its own.  A sweet candied sugar scent is paired with that of raisins and a hint of alcohol.  The beer also gives you a little bit of toffee and a mild amount of roasted malt.  Overall it is a pleasant aroma that is subtle but well balanced.

On the palate this beer is introduced to your tongue by subtle carbonation.  Odyssey is uber smooth with a wonder blend of flavor.  Raisin and dates coat your tongue then give way to toffee and roast malt.  The beer finishes with a hint of vanilla.  Warmth spreads all around the back of your throat and tongue then slowly is dissipates leaving the slightest bit of hop.

Overall I feel this beer is pretty fantastic.  The color is rare.  The depth and the way the light goes through is pretty wonderful.  The aroma is extremely subtle, but it has a lot going on, a nice balance of sweet and alcohol.  Finally the taste... it is smooth and balanced, even with the apparent lack of bitterness.  I think this beer is very well done.  I let it age for 15 months before drinking it so it was just passed the middle of the 2 year window of aging.  This 10.4 % abv beer will cause you to take pause while drinking! so if you intend to drink the entire bomber, give yourself sometime.  I give this beer a 4 out of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment