About Me

This page is dedicated to my love of beer. I don’t mean just any beer either, but quality craft beer. My love of craft beer started many many moons ago. I discovered that there was beer out there that wasn’t your typical, always a commercial for during a sports game, or sponsor of something on that Sports channel the Centers around showing highlights. After my introduction to craft beer I started to want to learn more about it (I am still learning) and try as many different types of beer as possible.

So I will tell you what beer I am drinking, what the flavors are, and more if you are interested.


Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ommegang - Art of Darkness




Ommegang Brewery

Art of Darkness - Belgian style dark ale

The color of this beer is coffee dark, no creamor sugar, black.  The head is a fluffy beige that stays around for a while.  No light gets through this brew, and no light can be seen at the edge of the glass.  This is dark, solid brew.

The aroma of this beer is sweet and fruity.  I get a candied sugar smell from this beer that is followed by a fruity / citrus notes that are sweet, and enticing.  The aroma is mild and not overpowering.  There is a mild hint of alcohol, but nothing that would make you think this beer is too strong.

On the palate there is a light, fluffiness with mild carbonation and a smooth texture.  The beer slowly coats the tongue as you drink it and lingers after the swallow.  The flavors are blended together well, but you can still pick them out.  I notice a hint of orange, with a more dominate sugary raisin.  There is a note of roast malt and molasses that is mild, and hidden until the back side of this taste.  There is also a mild bitterness that helps to mask the alcohol notes of this moderately strong brew.

Overall I like this beer.  The funky bitterness on the backside is not my favorite, but it doesn't kill the flavor or experience of this beer for me.  I wish there was a little more to the beer, it seems a little light for a beer this dark, it's smooth and goes down very easily.  It's a sneaky string beer at 8.9% abv.  Overall a quality brew by Ommegang, and a beer to at least try once.

No comments:

Post a Comment