About Me

This page is dedicated to my love of beer. I don’t mean just any beer either, but quality craft beer. My love of craft beer started many many moons ago. I discovered that there was beer out there that wasn’t your typical, always a commercial for during a sports game, or sponsor of something on that Sports channel the Centers around showing highlights. After my introduction to craft beer I started to want to learn more about it (I am still learning) and try as many different types of beer as possible.

So I will tell you what beer I am drinking, what the flavors are, and more if you are interested.


Friday, July 4, 2014

Deschutes - Hop in the Dark




Deschutes Brewery

Hop in the Dark Cascadian Dark Ale - An Americam black ale

The color of this beer is DARK.  It's a solid looking beer, the almost black, but you can see a hint of brown color is rich and mysterious.  The light brown head goes away at a medium pace, and leaves some uneven lacing as it goes down the glass.  No light can get through this brew, it is way to solid for that.

The aroma of this brew gives of noticable scents of roast malts, a bitter chocolate and coffee aroma is also present in this beer.  Hiding amongst the other flavors you will also get hints of piney hops.  It's a pretty interesting aroma, that is pleasant and intriguing.  It's a smell that makes you want to take a sip.

On the palate the mild carbonation delivers a beer full of wonderful flavors.  The maltiness gives a nice backdrop to the hops that arrive and linger on your tongue long after you have finished your sip.  The piney flavors, with semi sweet chocolate flavor play well against each other.  There is also a hint of citrus the produces itself the more you drink it.  The beer finishes a little dry, and there is the slightest hint of alcohol, but not enough to add a warming sensation to the mouth and throat.  

Overall this is a pretty good beer.  There is a lot of flavor, the beer goes down very smoothly, and it has a nice aroma.  The color and aroma entice you to drink it.  I would say Deschutes did a nice job with this ale.  I give it a 4 out of 5.  Go and get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment